England boss Roy Hodgson may be tempted to stick Phil Jagielka up front against Switzerland on Tuesday night after seeing the Everton defender score this stunning bicycle kick goal during training.
Building on the site has been further complicated by the fact the entire property is on a flood plain. The only active structure on the property is the Pico Rivera Sports Arena, operated by Leba Inc. What should be constructed in the place of the old facilities is a topic for debate, with city officials, financial stakeholders and residents weighing in on the issue, although talks about future uses will not begin until January. A plan would then be submitted to the Army corps at the end of 2008. Belinda Faustinos, executive officer of the Rivers and Mountains Conservancy, which oversees the Watershed Conservation Authority, said the group plans to incorporate Bicentennial Park into the larger, county-side vision for Whittier Narrows. Faustinos said she expects the area will be blended with the Emerald Necklace project, a 17-mile loop of parks and open space, to preserve the natural surroundings in Whittier Narrows while providing recreational space. “I think that part of that assessment is going to be a balance between what community members want and what is feasible,” Faustinos said. Raul Murga, director for the Pico Rivera Community for Truth in Politics, and former stables owner Susan MacLean are awaiting trial on misdemeanor charges of trespassing on the Bicentennial Park property. said the new project partnerships will strip power from Pico Riverans. MacLean agreed, adding that the area already contains hiking trails and natural spaces. Although she would like to see the stables, swap meet and campgrounds re-established in the area, MacLean said she believes more change was not ideal. “They’ve done enough rearranging,” MacLean said. Spencer said the goal of the project is to allow community input and create facilities everyone can use. “We welcome this joint planning process,” Spencer said. “Even if it becomes a regional facility, there are still benefits to the city in regards to potential revenues being spent by visitors.” Murga email@example.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PICO RIVERA – More than 60 acres of empty land may be destined for use as a recreational site for residents with the help of county officials, according to City Council members. The council voted Tuesday to dedicate $100,000 to creating a new master plan for the Bicentennial Park area in Whittier Narrows, beginning the process of developing the land for recreational use. The city will partner with others, including Supervisor Gloria Molina and the Watershed Conservation Authority, to hire a consulting team that will report on potential uses for the land. The Watershed Conservation Authority is contributing $300,000 to the consulting phase of the project. Molina’s office is donating $50,000. Other partners are the Los Angeles County Flood Control District and the Water Replenishment District, dedicating a combined $75,000. City Manager Chuck Fuentes estimated hiring a consultant would cost a total of $500,000. Once the consultant gives a report, the financial stakeholders in the project will create a proposed master plan, to be approved by the Army Corps of Engineers, which owns the 63-acre property. The land, leased by the corps at no cost to the city, has been sitting fallow since the Pico Rivera Stables and the Pico Rivera Swap Meet were shut down last year. The Bicentennial Campground on the site has been closed since 1994. “The use of that property has evolved over the years as trends and culture have evolved,” Spencer said.
THE EURO gained more than 1.35c against sterling today – making the € worth 86.2p sterling.The rapid collapse of sterling was based on poor economic figures in the UK where the economy contracted by 0.5% in the last three months of 2010.The news is bad for Donegal retailers after several weeks of a weaker € made our goods and services more competitive with the North. The UK Office for National Statistics blamed the poor weather in November and December for the shock contraction in the UK economy.British chancellor George Obsborne said: “These are obviously disappointing numbers, but the ONS has made it very clear that the fall in GDP was driven by the terrible weather in December.“We have had the coldest weather since records began in 1910 and this has clearly had a much bigger impact on the economy than anyone expected. It’s notable that sectors of the economy that are less affected by the poor weather, such as manufacturing, continue to perform strongly, helping to rebalance our economy.”In all of these fluctuations there are winners and losers. Donegal people working in the North will take home less pay as a result of the collapse in the pound.EURO SURGES AGAINST STERLING AS DOUBLE DIP RECESSION FEARS HIT UK was last modified: January 25th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
1 There was some comedy in Japan’s 2018 World Cup qualifier win against Syria.Hamdi Al Massri got things off to a flyer with a beauty of an own goal, Shinji Kagawa scored twice and Genki Haraguchi got the other.Japan are top of Group E in the second round of qualifying. Hamdi Al Massri scored this unfortunate own goal in Syria’s 5-0 defeat to Japan
Swansea boss Francesco Guidolin 1 Francesco Guidolin is to remain as Swansea boss after agreeing a new two-year contract with the Barclays Premier League club.Swansea confirmed that Guidolin’s deal was ratified at a board meeting on Wednesday.The 60-year-old Italian took over from a sacked Garry Monk in January on a short-term contract until the end of this season, and has since guided Swansea to Premier League safety by winning seven and drawing three of his 15 games in charge.Guidolin took over a team in serious relegation danger, and had the sole target of securing Swansea’s Premier League survival.But he turned the club’s fortunes around, with Swansea currently 11th in the table on 46 points going into their final game of the season against Liberty Stadium visitors Manchester City this weekend.“I am pleased to confirm that we have reached an agreement with Francesco on a new two-year contract,” Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told the club’s official website.“Francesco fully deserves the chance to continue his good work into the new campaign.“He was prepared to come into the club at such a difficult time and put himself in a pressure situation with the club fighting for survival.“He has achieved the goal of securing top-flight football for this club with plenty to spare, and has earned the right to start afresh next season.“It’s going to be another challenge for everyone, but we are looking forward to seeing how far he can take this squad of players over a full season.“We are confident that he can carry on the good work at the end of this season into the new campaign.”Former Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers, who took the club into the Premier League in 2012, had been heavily linked with a return to the Liberty Stadium since leaving Liverpool last October.Rodgers revealed in January that he had been approached to succeed Monk, but he told the Swansea board that he wanted a break from football until this summer.Jenkins added: “There has obviously been a lot of speculation over recent weeks about a possible change of manager, but the board has been impressed with the way he has quietly gone about the job of improving performances and results since January.“Francesco and his staff have also gained valuable experience of working with the current group of players and Premier League football. That should stand everyone in good stead as we prepare for the new season ahead.“It’s a chance for him to prepare the players throughout pre-season and fully instil his way of working on the group after a hectic and crucial few months.”Swansea confirmed that the Italian members of Guidolin’s backroom staff – Gabriele Ambrosetti and Diego Bortoluzzi – have also been offered new contracts.
Switzerland and Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Granit Xhaka is rumoured to be on his way to Arsenal for a medical 1 Granit Xhaka’s transfer to Arsenal is almost complete and Gooners couldn’t be happier.Well, those who claim to have seen him play are.It appears there has been a breakthrough in negotiations between Arsenal and the 23-year-old’s club, Borussia Monchengladbach.And there were a lot of excited tweets when it was being reported Xhaka was heading to London for a medical ahead of a transfer believed to be around £30m before he joins up with his Switzerland team-mates ahead of Euro 2016.The midfielder has been a Borussia Monchengladbach player for four seasons and here, Arsenal fans had their say on the huge news.
1 Napoli are ready to end talk of Gonzalo Higuain leaving for Liverpool by offering him a new deal worth £110,000-a-week.The striker bagged a record breaking 36 league goals in Serie A last season and he is wanted by several clubs.Liverpool have been heavily linked with the Argentina international and their manager Jurgen Klopp has been spotted watching the player at this summer’s Copa America.However, according to Rai Sport, Napoli are ready to break the bank to keep hold of Higuain.The Italian club view the 28-year-old as irreplaceable and are prepared to offer him a contract until 2019 worth £110,000-a-week.That would lead to Higuain earning around £17million in the next three years, making him one of the best paid footballers in Italy. Higuain scored a record-breaking 36 goals in Serie A last season
LIVE on #Periscope: Trouble https://t.co/jX1R0Zd6qx— Stan Collymore (@StanCollymore) June 15, 2016 Police have used teargas on supporters in Lille Police in Lille have used teargas on fans following scuffles in the city centre.Supporters were seen running through the streets before officers attempted to disperse them by firing the gas into the crowds.Fans from England, Wales, Slovakia and Russia have been gathering in the city for Group B matches between the countries. A large group of fans were congregated at the Place des Reignaux when officers used the spray and let off a canister. A loud bang was also heard.Supporters held their shirts over their mouths and left the scene rubbing their eyes and spitting.Hoards of fans were seen walking through the streets chanting “England, England, England.”In footage posted online by talkSPORT pundit Stan Collymore, one man wearing a green hat is seen smashing wing mirrors off cars parked on the street.Collymore said: “Somebody threw a, not a grenade, something that went bang towards some England fans and the England fans have just run.”The bang caused the crowd to surge forward and they dispersed as police fired tear gas.Around 10 men wearing Russian Ultra t-shirts were seen walking away from the area.Mounted police quickly arrived on the scene as the England fans regrouped and began to chant again. 1
“My suggestion is to admit mistakes, to apologize for mistakes and to make a pledge that you’re not going to let this happen again,” he says. “There’s no guarantee that bad stuff won’t happen. But you can certainly reduce the likelihood.” Ryan, who was promoted to the district’s head job after the 2002 incident with Brokop, has followed that advice. She recalls how, during a meeting about the civil lawsuit, a lawyer for one of the victims brusquely threw a copy of Shoop’s book to her. “She told me I’d do well to read it,” Ryan recalls. And she did, inviting Shoop to come and give a full-day training to principals in her district. In doing so, she also vowed to make substantial changes in screening and training for employees – and in the way the district handles sexual misconduct allegations. Some districts are ordered by the court to take such action. But that wasn’t the case in Farmington. Ryan says she did so because it was the right thing. “I had to do something,” says the longtime educator and Roman Catholic, who was partly inspired to act by the clergy sex-abuse scandal in her church. The changes she and her staff have put into place include these: Local and federal background checks, using fingerprints, are done on every new employee. So far, random checks on existing employees are not legal, but she hopes that will change. Principals and new employees, from teachers and administrators to janitors and cooks, go through extensive training on sexual misconduct – what it is, how to avoid it, and what to do if they notice something suspicious. Employees also must sign a code of ethics, which includes language on sexual misconduct. Even when police are called in, administrators not involved with the incident do their own internal investigation. Ryan says every allegation, even if it is a concern based on rumor, is looked into. The district and three others in the county of roughly 125,000 people now use a standard procedure for investigating sexual misconduct allegations. All classroom doors now have windows. And substitutes are instructed to keep their doors open and are supposed to be monitored by neighboring teachers. New Mexico legislators took steps to address concerns with a law that took effect last summer. It requires districts to investigate alleged misconduct by school workers who are fired or who quit, and to report their findings to the Public Education Department, which can revoke or suspend licenses. In an attempt to stop the “passing the trash” phenomenon – when disciplined teachers hop from district to district – the New Mexico law also bans administrators from making confidential agreements with teachers who’ve gotten in trouble. Ryan says the law gives her much-needed backup in dealing with rogue teachers. But she also says it’s up to her to set the tone in her district.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonHer candor is rare. So is the strength of her resolve to make sure a case like this never occurs again. An Associated Press investigation this fall found 2,570 educators whose teaching credentials were revoked, denied, surrendered or sanctioned from 2001 through 2005 following allegations of sexual misconduct. The investigation also found that many other educators accused of sexual wrongdoing were able to make secret deals with a promise to their districts to leave quietly, some with letters of recommendation. Even in the most public of sexual misconduct cases, school administrators are often reluctant to talk about it. Among other things, they fear embarrassment, blame and anger from parents. But that shouldn’t stop them from dealing with the issue head-on, says one expert who helps schools deal with and prevent teacher misconduct. “The let-sleeping-dogs-lie mentality is counterproductive,” says Robert Shoop, a Kansas State University professor who has written a book for school administrators called “Sexual Exploitation in Schools: How to Spot It and Stop It.” FARMINGTON, N.M. – Arthur Brokop, a young substitute teacher, shut the windowless door of the first-grade classroom he’d been called in to oversee. He dimmed the lights while showing a video and, one by one, put three young girls on his lap so he could fondle them through their clothing. The crime still haunts the school superintendent in this town surrounded by oil fields and the rugged high desert of northwestern New Mexico. “We were negligent,” superintendent Janel Ryan says, pointedly repeating a word used in a multimillion dollar civil judgment in favor of one of the victims. “It just ate me up.”