Slowdown in US wind energy installations forecast

first_imgOne of the study’s authors suggests that 2010 will be the first time since 2004 that the U.S. wind industry will not surpass the previous year’s growth level, despite unprecedented federal wind incentives. The study blames reverberations from the financial crisis which continue to create a difficult near-term market landscape especially in light of continued energy policy uncertainty.According to the study, the U.S. Wind Power Markets and Strategies: 2010-2025, the U.S. is still on track to add more than 165 GW of new capacity through 2025.The study says that the Midwest, Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states will act as major wind power export hubs to other areas, including California, the South and the Mid-Atlantic. Wind will represent USD330 billion in investments between 2010 and 2025, but offshore wind projects will only account for 5 percent of total wind power installations built in 2025.The study said that transmission continues to be a “barrier” to the development of wind projects.The U.S. supply chain continues to expand domestically, supported by strong prospects for future wind power growth. The surge in U.S. wind installations over the past three years has encouraged established European players and new entrants from Asia to enter the U.S. market, ensuring a steady supply of turbines to the U.S. market for the foreseeable future. Companies active in this exciting area of the heavy lift and OOG market, will be interested to read that our industry focus item in the July / August edition of HLPFI will be on Power Generation – Renewable Energies. For more information about editorial or advertising opportunities please contact ian@heavyliftpfi.comlast_img read more

U.S. will continue pursuing deal on Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam

first_imgU.S. President Donald Trump told Egyptian counterpart Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Tuesday that Washington will keep up efforts for a deal among Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan over a dam Ethiopia is building on the Nile, Egypt’s presidency said.FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump greets Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi during a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the annual United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York City, New York, U.S., September 23, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstThe three countries had expected to sign an accord in Washington last week on the filling and operation of the $4 billion Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), but Ethiopia skipped the meeting and only Egypt has initialed the deal thus far.“President Trump emphasized that the U.S. administration will keep up tireless efforts and coordination with Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia over this vital issue until the three countries sign an agreement over the Renaissance Dam,” the Egyptian presidency said in a statement.In its own statement on the phone conversation, the White House said Trump “expressed hope that an agreement on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam would be finalized soon and benefit all parties involved.”Sisi told Trump that Cairo would continue “giving this issue the utmost attention in defense of the interests of the Egyptian people, their capabilities and their future,” the Egyptian presidency added.The dam is the centerpiece in Ethiopia’s ambition to become Africa’s biggest power exporter. But it has sparked fears in Cairo that Egypt’s already scarce supplies of Nile river water, on which its population of more than 100 million people is almost entirely dependent, would be further restricted.Egypt – a largely desert country – is short of water. It imports about half its food products and recycles about 25 billion cubic meters of water annually.Ethiopia, which announced the dam project in 2011 as Egypt was beset by political upheaval, denies the dam will undermine Egypt’s access to water.The dam is under construction near Ethiopia’s border with Sudan on the Blue Nile, which flows into the Nile River. Egypt and Ethiopia have been at odds over how quickly the reservoir behind the giant dam can be filled and how much water Ethiopia should promise to release.The United States has hosted several rounds of talks in Washington with ministers from the three regional powers and the World Bank after years of trilateral negotiations failed.“We have been trying to bring the parties together. They have made enormous progress. We were incredibly disappointed that Ethiopia didn’t show up for the last meeting,” U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told a hearing of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday.“It is an important issue for the entire region. It is obviously a grave concern – there are safety concerns, there are water concerns,” Mnuchin said.Ethiopia has said it needs more time for deliberations. It says outstanding issues concerning the dam’s operation and the filling of its reservoir have yet to be addressed, but that it can commence filling in parallel with the construction of the dam.“The U.S. statement that says Ethiopia shouldn’t start filling the dam without reaching an agreement is diplomatically incorrect and we think it is wrong and we expect the U.S. to correct this statement,” Foreign Minister Gedu Andargachew told reporters on Tuesday.Egypt accused Ethiopia on Sunday of “deliberately” not attending the last round of talks in Washington last week “to hinder the path of negotiations”.Related Talk Africa: The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam No progress in talks over Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Damcenter_img Ethiopia, Egypt resume talks over Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Damlast_img read more

Mother fined for attacking student at school

first_imgLocalNews Mother fined for attacking student at school by: Racquel Porter – November 13, 2014 217 Views   no discussions Share Tweet Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! KINGSTON, Jamaica (Jamaica Observer) — A mother was fined on Wednesday after attacking a female student who reportedly injured her daughter on a Kingston school compound.An unrepentant and boisterous Hyacinth Johnson was fined $10,000 or 6 months imprisonment if the fine isn’t paid, when she appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate’s Court.She had pleaded guilty to a charge of assault.Johnson reportedly went to a West Kingston institution where she slapped the student across the face knocking her to the ground.In court, Johnson’s behaviour was such that Senior Resident Magistrate Pusey had to inform her that the proceeding was no “comedy bus”.Johnson told the court that she was summoned to the school by her daughter and that when she arrived she saw her ‎daughter with a bite mark to the neck.The woman said she approached the complainant in front of the principal and guidance councillor and was attacked by the teen.“Those children are bad,” Johnson said loudly, “dem run down teachers with machete.”“When you are going to paint a picture, make sure you paint your child,” Pusey quipped.‎ “You said every child that goes [there] is bad. Your child goes there.”“I don’t grow her to go to school and fight,” Johnson replied.Pusey told her that she should have gone to the principal or guidance councillor instead of confronting the student, adding that her action wasn’t self defence but retaliation.“How long you plan to go to jail? asked Pusey.“Why should she hit me?” Johnson asked.“How long you plan to spend at Fort Augusta [Prison]? You think I am unjust?” Pusey asked.“I don’t know,” Johnson replied.“You have no business fighting her,” Pusey said.“You see what she do with my daughter?” said a defiant Johnson.“There is another solution,” Pusey responded before imposing the fine‎. Sharelast_img read more

Bauer keeps Indians in ballgame early, Dodgers rally late

first_imgCLEVELAND— Well, a no-decision is better than a loss. Starter Trevor Bauer’s record will stay at 5-5 in the season after pitching 5.2 innings against a team that can hit.The Los Angeles Dodgers recorded six hits off of Bauer. The biggest blow was a two-run home run by Yasiel Puig in the top of the second inning, Bauer stayed calmed and trusted his offense. “I threw a lot of bad pitches that didn’t get hits tonight,” Bauer said. “I thought the results were better than how I pitched, glad to keep the team in it even if I wasn’t at the best.” Bauer did get in some trouble in the sixth inning, giving up a double from Cody Bellinger and walking the last two batters he faced. Related Topics After Bauer exited, the Dodgers rallied in the late innings. Cody Bellinger belted a go-ahead solo homer off Andrew Miller and later hit his second homer of the night off of Dan Otero in the ninth to pretty much seal the deal.center_img The Indians started their own rally in the bottom the ninth when Daniel Robertson homered to left but that home run wasn’t enough. The Indians were able to get a run in the third, as Michael Brantley singled to right to score Daniel Roberson who doubled to start off the inning. Things would become more interesting when Roberto Perez hit his first home run of the season off of ace Clayton Kershaw in the fifth. Mike Couteelast_img read more

New Tokyo date to be decided

first_imgTOKYO, Japan (AP):The Tokyo Olympics need new dates for the opening and closing ceremonies in 2021.Nothing much can get done until those dates are worked out by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the Japanese Government and Tokyo organisers.“We must decide this soon, otherwise it will be hard to decide on other things to follow,” Toshiro Muto, the chief executive officer of the organising committee, told his 30 senior directors – all men but one – seated in a large meeting room yesterday.Two days after the unprecedented postponement was announced, the group gathered for the first meeting of what is being called the ‘Tokyo 2020 New Launch Task Force’. They must put the Olympics back together after they were torn apart by the coronavirus pandemic.Muto and the president of the organising committee, Yoshiro Mori, each gave speeches. Mori, an 82-year-old former Japanese prime minister, drew on war memories from his youth to summon the resolve to redo in a few months what was seven years in the planning.He talked of his father going “to the war in the Pacific” and leaving a rugby ball and a baseball glove behind for his young son.“I’m sorry, I’m an old person and I talk about the old days,” Mori said. “I’m comparing this to the old days and I might be criticised by the media. However, this is the emotion I have inside me and this is the emotion I have as we face the predicament in front of us.”Muto ran off a condensed string of issues to be resolved: ticketing, security, venues, merchandise, accommodation, the Athletes Village, transportation and lining up unpaid volunteers. He added he was looking at “thousands of contracts” and the interests of broadcasters, sponsors, the IOC, world sports federations and national Olympic committees.“I didn’t imagine at all we’d be tested to this degree,” he acknowledged. MASSIVE EXPENSES He also voiced another reality.“Additional expenses are going to be quite massive we assume,” Muto said.The Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei has estimated added costs due to the delay of US$2.7 billion (over J$366 billion). This would go on top of an official budget of US$12.6 billion (over J$1.7 trillion). A Japanese national audit agency, however, says the actual amount of spending is about twice that size.IOC President Thomas Bach said Wednesday that “all options are on the table” for new dates. He said next year’s Olympics don’t have to be restricted to summer in the Northern Hemisphere and might occur sooner.Two of the marquee Olympic events – track and swimming – have already scheduled their own world championships for July and August of 2021.If the Olympics are moved into spring, when it’s cooler in Tokyo, they clash with the end of the European football season. In North America, they would bump into Major League Baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey and possibly even college basketball. That’s assuming normal sports schedules resume by then.“The postponed Olympic Games will need sacrifices,” Bach said.Hidemasa Nakamura, the games delivery officer, was pressed again on dates.“That’s something we haven’t decided on yet,” he said. “We have no idea when we will be able to finalise the dates. We don’t have a fixed plan how to proceed from here.”last_img read more

Dameyune Craig: D’haquille Williams ‘said some things he shouldn’t have said’

first_imgAuburn wide receiver D'haquille Williams catches a pass as Auburn defensive back Stephen Roberts tackles him during the Auburn A-Day spring game on Saturday, April 18, 2015, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.Auburn wide receiver D’haquille Williams catches a pass as Auburn defensive back Stephen Roberts tackles him during the Auburn A-Day spring game on Saturday, April 18, 2015, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. MOBILE – Like many astute followers in the Auburn fan base, Dameyune Craig was alarmed by the cryptic tweets of D’haquille Williams last Wednesday night.Craig, who as wide receivers coach is closer with Williams than any other member of the coaching staff, met with the Tigers star receiver the next morning to address the matter, which he now feels was nothing more than someone having a bad day.“My concern is him,” Craig said before a meeting of the Mobile Auburn Club Tuesday night. “You need to understand why you’re doing something and the answer is not always you were wrong; you need to understand why you were wrong. And he needs to understand he’s a public figure right now. A lot of young kids look up to him as a role model and the way he presents himself and the person that he is, he needs to present a positive image at all times.”Williams posted a series of five tweets implying he was not happy at Auburn and was going to leave the program, sending fans who follow the wide receiver into a frenzy before he deleted the messages by the next morning.“I think Duke is an emotional kid and with this day and age, we wear our emotions on our sleeve,” Craig said. “With social media what you say can be carried throughout the world in a matter of minutes, and there was no issue there.“I think he wasn’t having a good day. He just said some things he shouldn’t have said, basically.”Asked about Williams’ tweets on Monday, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said he was not concerned.“Kids are going to be kids,” Malzahn said. “We’ve got to do a better job with what we tweet out.”Craig offered no specifics on what prompted Williams to sound off publicly, posing a number of possibilities from a bad day, to a final exam and interpersonal matters, but did say “it wasn’t the right time” to express his frustrations via social media.“We make things bigger than what it is — Not as far as me, I think the media,” Craig said. “We’re all searching for a story and it’s not a big deal.”Yet it was Craig who quieted much of the speculation by, ironically, posting a photo on Twitter with the wide receiver in his office with the message “Everything Gucci!” before Williams’ tweets were reported.It’s not the first time Williams has posted something on social media that didn’t sit well with the coaching staff. In December he posted a picture via Instagram showing he suffered an apparent injury to his eye, which was also later deleted, and was then suspended for the Outback Bowl due to an undisclosed violation of team rules.“He needs to learn that we live in a different age,” Craig said. “I didn’t have to deal with the same things he has to deal with at this point in time. I’m old enough. I’m 41 years old, I understand the ramifications of what I say. When you’re young and you’re growing, you have to live and learn and I think that, not only he needs to learn that, that generation needs to understand that.”last_img read more

Video | Kentucky’s Mitchell on the Cats win over the Cards

first_img Session ID: 2020-09-18:a1f3e7b134280ce84efe117a Player ID: videojs-brightcove-player-726641-4656352344001 OK Close Modal DialogCaption Settings DialogBeginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsDefaultsDoneClose Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Video | Kentucky’s Mitchell on the Cats win over the Cards Play VideoPlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 0:00Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%0:00 Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1ChaptersChaptersdescriptions off, selectedDescriptionssubtitles off, selectedSubtitlescaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedCaptionsAudio TrackFullscreenThis is a modal window. The Video Cloud video was not found. Error Code: VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR_VIDEO_NOT_FOUNDlast_img read more

McClaren pleased to see QPR players battle

first_imgSteve McClaren’s QPR side face an FA Cup replay. [Picture: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire]Steve McClaren praised QPR’s players for showing battling qualities in the FA Cup fourth-round draw at Portsmouth.AdChoices广告The two sides will meet again in a replay after a feisty encounter at Fratton Park, where tempers boiled over in a melee late in the game. Rangers manager McClaren said: “It’s the FA Cup, you’re playing at Portsmouth and you have to stand up.“We’ve not been traditionally known at Queens Park Rangers for that kind of fight, but we certainly showed it.”Nahki Wells earned a replay for Rangers with a 75th-minute equaliser after Joel Lynch’s own goal put League One leaders Pompey ahead.Embed from Getty Images Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook “We knew this would be a tough game. They’re a good side who will be in the Championship next season and the replay at Loftus Road will be tough as well,” McClaren said.“We were pleased with the first half but when we went a goal down the crowd really got behind them and our boys fought tremendously well and showed great character.“We equalised and then it was both teams slugging it out for the winner.”center_img See also:Jackett looking forward to Loftus Road returnWells earns FA Cup replay for QPRPortsmouth v QPR player ratingsQPR youngster gets new deal and loan move to SpainQPR and Portsmouth charged over 22-man brawlLuton interested in QPR defender BaptisteWszolek confident QPR will offer him new deallast_img read more